The Works comprised the provision of a refurbished roof over the worship area and a replacement roof over the community hall at Westfield Church, West Street, Bridgwater, Somerset, together with other ancillary works.
Although a JCT Minor Works Building Contract with Contractors Design 2011 introduced, a DzDesign and Builddz approach for the works was required for the overhaul the existing roofing systems. The works were carried out sequentially in two separate stages in order to maintain the continuity of church operations.
The phases were as follows:
Stage 1 – Renew church roof, with drainage and insulation and stacking chairs and supply and install wheel chair lift.
- Strip/Remove existing copper felt membrane boarding
- In-situ repairs as required
- Replace all roof sheeting
- Roof void Insulation
- Install EPDM rubber Roofing (1.5mm Gauge) Membrane
- New drainage system
- New chairs
- Platform lift in existing stairway
Stage 2 – Replace existing hall roof with new pitched roof, insulation, walls and windows refurbishment and provide and install window shutters.
- Design supply and erect new, pitched over-roof
- Remove/dispose existing flat roof
- Remove/dispose and replace flat roof sheeting 12mm weatherproof ply
- Apply propriety timber preservation coating to all roof purlins
- Repair of localised decay of I-Beams and Noggins
- Supply and erect new external surface water down-pipes
- Design, supply and erect insulation to Hall Walls
- Supply and erect new double toughened glass windows and French door
- Supply and install metal roller blinds
All works were completed over the summer months of 2014, as per the agreed programme.